Saturday, November 21, 2009

Day 4

Finally got some internet access! Yay! Have been trying to use a mobile broadband thing which refuses to work for me - very frustrating!

Back in Manila after a day touring a tomato protected cropping farm in the hills at Cabintan - very remote, but interesting. Then a long drive back to Tacloban and onto a flight to Manila - which was delayed because the Presidential plane was landing. They close the airport for 15 mins either side so 30 mins spent circling. After a day of being bitten by ants and sinking in mud, I arrived at the hotel thinking longingly of nice hot bath,only to find the room only has a shower.

Discovered I'm a city girl at heart so happy to be back in the land of flushing toilets, running water, soap, and even hairdryers. Maybe they will even have coffee? VSU only had packets of 3in1 - a mix of Nescafe,sugar and milk powder - yuk!

VSU campus was lovely. Situated right on the sea it was a bit like a resort. The building we held the workshop was brand new and very impressive - until I visited the toilets - then i found out why I'd been given a roll of toilet paper on arrival.

I asked if I could wash my hands at lunchtime which caused great consternation and the kitchen was cleared and a packet of laundry detergent produced.

Driving through the hills this morning I found that most people take advantage of the rain to shower - at least the children do.

Off on another long car drive to Los Banos tomorow. Quite a different part of the country.

1 comment: